|INCAP's Technical Cooperation Coordinatorin this country: Antonio Largaespada
Address: Edificio Cruz Roja y OPS/OMS, Calle Pepillo Salcedo -Recta Final, Plaza de la Salud, Ensanche La Fé, Santo Domingo, República Dominicana
Phone: (809) 562-1519; 562-1582; Fax: (809) 544-0322
In fulfillment with the strategic objectives of INCAP for the biannual period 2010-2011 and the agreements subscribed with PAHO/WHO, national Government and academic entities, and incursion of the community FNS; the following results were achieved:
- Seven communities of two municipals with extreme poverty works on the strategy of local FNS with relevant advances in water availability and basic sanitation, foods produced by themselves, local alliances conformation, improvement of self-esteem and woman positioning in the community and municipality.
- Restoration of hospital feeding and nutrition services assessed by PAHO and officers of the Department of Health of the United States as a successful experience.
- Utilization of the growing stock and children development, pattern of food consumption and household index as poverty and food and nutritional insecurity indexes.
- Strengthening of the program of supplement with micronutrients in institutions directed to children care and health services in the border zones.
- Implementation of healthy foods by using national GABAS.
- The country document of the national consult for the Regional Agenda of FNS was completed.
- Conditions for the education of human resources in FNS have been established: School of Nutrition and Master Degree in FNS in the National Christian University, feeding and nutrition courses in the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo, and courses about food innocuousness in the National Institute of Health and Nutrition.
- Development of the World Strategy for breastfeeding child and toddler feeding with Children Institution of Social Welfare.
- The module of food consumption to be integrated in the EHNOGAR 2012 was prepared.
- Manuals to be used in Hospital Feeding and Nutrition Services were prepared.
- Planning and assessment of biannual, annual and semester plans have been essential due to experience exchange between countries and contributions from technical units of INCAP headquarters.
- For the development of technical cooperation, it is necessary the mobilization of resources and projects formulation.
Main challenges for 2012
- Positioning INCAP in different governmental sectors of the country, as the expertise regional institution on studies and researches in feeding and nutritional field, responsible of the FNS technical cooperation in the country with a prestige of excellence for more than 60 years of service in the Central American region.
- Look for alternatives of self-sustainability of the institution in the country.
- Promote actively the preparation and execution of a national inter programmatic and inter sectorial plan in FNS regarding to local feeding culture and environment.
- Prepare technical conditions for the FNS care in emergencies.
- Management and development of the National Plan "Institutional Strengthening of the Hospital Food and Nutritional Services through the development of a Model of Hospital Manager procedures in National, Regional, Provincial Hospitals of the Dominican Republic 2012-2015."
- Provide technical cooperation to committees, associations and cooperatives for its self-sustainability through formulation and management of attractive projects for donors and necessary for families.
- Continue with the support for the education of human resources on FNS.